September 02, 2013

Photo Styling Challenge | Part 3 Vignette
























I'm quite ashamed to say that it's now September and my last blog post was August 19th!  Apologies people I have been somewhat busy of late.  No excuses I know but I'm back, and returning for the third instalment of the Photo Styling Challenge!  And here it is, this month is... 'Vignette'.
























If you can't tell from looking through these photos, we have a Shakespeare nerd in our family.  No it's not Thelonious, although I think he also has a passion for the English playwright.  It is in fact PC who has a fond appreciation for the talented creator of Romeo and Juliet.  We literally have shelves upon shelves stacked with books by ole Billy Shakes, with Hamlet appearing more than once, twice even three times over.  So this month's Photo Styling is dedicated to all things that PC loves...




















































... except for my painted rabbit skull, Pepsi.  He HATES this with an absolute passion.  I think he finds him a wee bit creepy and it also makes him a wee bit sad.  But to me it's taxidermy perfection in its true form. My friend Little James found Pepsi as collects rabbit skulls from his back garden, and when I say back garden I mean acres of farmland.  He picks them up, cleans them off and them paints them black.  I really would like on in gold (of course), so maybe he'll send me one... Ok I'm off on a tangent here but for reals I just had to get Pepsi into this scene... Say hello to Pepsi everyone!  It's also a play on the skull in Hamlet:

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?"
(Hamlet, V.i)
























So here we have at least three of the Hamlet books... and some brass charms from Thailand that are said to ward off evil.  These are something that PC picked up on his travels...




















































The map is of Galway which is where PC's family are from in Ireland.  We have that framed in our office.  I kinda like it because it reminds me of home (even though I've never actually visited Ireland yet!)  And here is PC's head of Billy Shakes.  This is a very special piece because it was given to him by a one of his tutors Jane, who also became a dear friend of his and sadly passed away a few years ago.  They both shared a great love for our dear William and she kindly gave him this as a gift when he graduated Uni.  He and Pepsi get on really well.  The rock in the middle is a part of the Getty Museum which he won in a competition.
























The weird bulb-shaped thing is a sun catcher that I got here in LA.  The black and white squares at the top rotate when the sun shines directly on them.  Pointless but I love it!

I've waffled on enough about my objects but let me know what you think of my images, this time I focused more on my... well... focus, I hope you can tell that from the images.  Would love to know what you think.

Tune in for next month's challenge... Morning! 

Also check out the other people participating in the challenge:

You can also see my first two challenges here: Challenge #1 | Food and Challenge #2 | Table Setting

There is still plenty time to join in with the challenge.  Just comment below leaving your blog link so we can find and add you to next month. Happy September everyone, I'm so excited for Autumn to be upon us :)


8 comments :

  1. The title image is my favorite! Great color and visual balance. ~M.

    http://redesignedbym.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, especially the super close-ups. These all look great though. You're really good at this!

    I'm new to the challenge and definitely looking at it as a learning opportunity. I'd qualify my first attempt as only medium-successful though. Practice makes perfect though so I can't wait until next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison, so glad you could join us. I'm learning as I go too and each month is a different challenge and I hope you'll stick with us on it :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely vignette, Ginny!
    I love the title shot and the last photo most.
    The skull is a great addition. I just feel the details are lost because the book is black too. Maybe a tan or brown book would have better showed off the details?
    See you next month!
    - Anjana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anjana!
      You make a great point on the book which is why I nearly didn't include this one. But I just love the skull so had to feature him :) See you next month!

      Delete
  4. I really dig what you've done with this challenge and you've broadened the scope with which I will enter the next challenge. I didn't think to rearrange my vignette, or to introduce new objects into shots. Awesome awesome. Thanks for this insight. Your photos look amazing. So crisp. What time of day did you photograph?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole, some lovely comments there. I took the photos around 4pm in the afternoon. We are fortunate that our apartment has floods of natural daylight that pours in pretty much all day. I'm really glad you're going to join in again next month! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips